Translate

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Got Mentor?

I think it's safe to say that the "Got Milk?" ad campaign is the most influential series of  advertisements our culture has seen. I borrow from the best.

In reading David DuChemin's book; "Visionmongers",  David recommends the idea of finding a mentor. Getting an outside perspective that you trust and are willing to take direction from can't help but have a positive effect on your work. This doesn't mean abandoning your style or becoming a sycophant. It means that you have a clear set of eyes looking at your images and a new perspective outside of the one in your own head. It's kind of like the "Neufilm" concept. Adopting boundaries to work within can be a source for new directions of creative growth.

I recently approached a friend of mine (one whose work I respect and admire) to work with me as a mentor for the next few months. I'll be given a new assignment weekly and pursue it under whatever guidelines are attached. I will then submit my assignment for critique and review. I don't know how he will feel about being named in this capacity so, for now, I'll leave him with some small modicum of anonymity. 

My first assignment is "Hands".  Other than that it's pretty wide open. I just finished and dropboxed my submission so, the die is cast. Being that's the case, I'll share them here.











So, without a doubt there will be a critique and a discussion. But, the point for me will not be what is right or what is wrong. Rather the point will be what are the different ideas and ways of seeing this that I can come away with.

Which brings me full circle to my first question: Got Mentor? I'll let you know how this works out. For now,

Ciao Bella,

Dano


No comments:

Post a Comment